Building Rainbows

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Hooked on Phonics

I have learned that Lizzy is very academic she enjoys learning letters, sounds, trying to read, number, sorting and counting much more than pretend play. In some ways I haven't focused so much on teaching Lizzy academic work because I like the idea of Waldorf schooling and allowing the child to learn just through play the first 7 years. In Waldorf education children don't learn to read until they are 7 and story telling is much more prefered than actual books before the age of 7. But in Lizzy's case she has a strong interest to learn to read, she has already learned all her letters and sounds of those letters. Lizzy's favorite things to do are lessons from hooked on phonics. I can see Lizzy reading very soon. I still believe in child lead learning and as long as Lizzy wants to learn to read I will support her in her interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment