Building Rainbows

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thoughts

It has been raining here this week, it's been a rainy and steamy couple of months here in Houston which has made it a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes which love Lizzy so we have tried to stay inside as much as we can. Lizzy loves to be out in nature and it's hard to have to keep her inside.

We recently cancelled our cable. Mostly because we don't really watch T.V. anymore since we've had Lizzy. Lizzy is actually the only one who watches T.V. and see only watches yo gabba gabba. No matter what other kids show we put on she is not interested in anything but yo gabba gabba. Mike and I actually like yo gabba gabba and see no problem with her watching it but we definitely don't want the T.V. to be the center of our home. As a family we would like to be more active and engaged with nature and relationships in the moment rather than distractions.

Checking my facebook and e-mail are my distraction. I only check them a few times during the day but when I do Lizzy starts crying. She makes it very clear she does not want me on the computer. As a parent I need to give her my attention, no object (phone, computer, game) is more important than relationships and I need to show her that. I have decided to cancel my facebook account and not use the computer when Lizzy is present.

There is so much beauty in simple childhood and the journey of parenthood that I've decided to be totally engaged in that beauty from now on.




Academics Blogs
Blog search

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Nydia. Cherish every moment. But don't stop blogging! I just love getting to know Lizzy this way and you and Mike as well. Watching you be a mom to Lizzy brings me so much joy.

    ReplyDelete