Building Rainbows

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Handmade Waldorf Inspired Doll

I finally did it, I finished the doll I made for Lizzy! The doll took me about 7 hours to make spread out across 7 days. So overall it wasn't too much work although my skills are a bit lacking. I haven't used a sewing machine or hand sewed since high school home economics, and I've never made a doll. I had to improvise on somethings that I didn't know how to do and used the internet to guide me some. I used this guide for making the doll and this guide for making the hair. Here is the finished doll:

Overall, the doll is quite simple to make but some of the downfalls I had were that I couldn't find wool stuffing in stores so I used cotton and I couldn't find stretch skin material so I used some non stretchy cotton material I had at home. For the hair I used home spun yarn. The pattern I used resulted in a much skinner doll than I had expected. All in all I am happy because this doll was made with love. Since making the doll I have discovered you can buy kits with all the material included and I think if I make another doll I will try the kits available.
I love that Waldorf dolls are made of all natural materials and most are handmade. So while I was looking at Waldorf dolls I found fair trade dolls made by hearing disabled women in Peru that were quite beautiful and all come with hand written notes from the maker. I also found very nice quality Waldorf dolls on etsy.com made by work at home moms who hand make these dolls with care and quality. To know there are beautiful handmade dolls that are made with natural materials and by people who are fairly paid and treated has inspired me to buy one of these dolls in the future for Lizzy. Until then, this is the doll Lizzy will be getting for Christmas this year. Lizzy knows what and doll is and can kinda say it. Today I asked her to bring me the baby doll and she brought me the baby doll, I asked Lizzy to give baby a hug and she gave baby a hug that just warmed my heart.

1 comment:

  1. She turned out great! What a very special doll. I especially love the hair. I said a big "aahh" at Lizzy mothering her baby doll. Nydia, you are just such a thoughtful, intelligent, loving, nurturing mother.

    ReplyDelete