Building Rainbows

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Open Ended Play: Waldorf Playstand

As I mentioned in previous posts Lizzy has outgrown many of her "baby" toys now that is she walking and playing on her own. So... I have gone on a baby toy purge and sold or given away all the baby toys she has outgrown, plastic toys, and toys that make unnatural noises. I did keep a few toys that were either plastic or made unnatural noises for now because those in particular were gifts from close family for Lizzy and I want her to appreciate that and play with them if she chooses to.

From the proceeds of the toy purge we invested in a waldorf playstand. A playstand is a simple wooden structure which supports children’s open ended play. It can be whatever they want it to be! A puppet theatre, a shop, a house, a boat, a castle, a cave, a house or whatever they want it to be. This toys grows with the child and their imagination. Lizzy is loving it so far, here she is:



3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you got Lizzy one of these!! I have always loved them. She will have hours and hours of fun playing. I like how you decorated it with the pink fabric (did it come with silks?) and her snake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it didn't come with silks. I hope to get some silks sometime. I just used some old fabric I had for the top in the meantime until I can get silks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which playstand is this? The little COlorado one? LOVE how you decorated!! :-D

    ReplyDelete