Building Rainbows

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Living Simply with Children

Lizzy has been busy doing things with family but I haven't documented it because I dropped my little camera that I take everywhere in the pool and since then it hasn't recovered so I haven't taken pictures of our adventures. I have a larger more bulky camera that takes better pictures I just don't like to carry such a bulky camera in addition to my bulky diaper bag. Lizzy is getting to an age where she doesn't need much when we go out so I maybe just keep a couple essentials in my purse and say goodbye to the diaper bag so that I can carry my camera comfortably. In talking about simplifying I will give a review of a book I read recently called Living Simply with Children.
This book talks about living a simpler life by getting rid of consumerism, excess and waste to live a simpler life that allows more time with your family. It contains lots of resources, and it's very informative for those wanting to start living a simpler family life.

In my experience so far Lizzy has more toys than a 1 year old needs. Since even before she was born I have purchased all the latest baby toys that are out there and she's also received many gifts in her short life. Being native I thought the more flashing, talking (educational) toys the better but now I know too many toy choices are overwhelming to a child and do not allow the child to play with one toy very long or use their imaginations. Lizzy has actually outgrown most of her baby toys so I have slowly been giving these toys away. Now we mostly have simpler, more natural toys that can be used in different ways so that they are able to grow with Lizzy. In any case we still have way too much stuff compared to most of the world. For a better world we must live simply and be a conscious shopper. Find out if the item was made fairly meaning the worker and environment was treated fairly. So much excess is at the expense of abused workers and a polluted earth. I'll get off my little soapbox and close with this quote I love:
"Live more simply so that others may simply live" Gandhi.

1 comment:

  1. Preach it, sister! I reserved the book at the library so I could read it.

    ReplyDelete