Building Rainbows

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sensory Bin Exploration

I made this sensory bin last week for Lizzy. I used a under bed storage container and filled it with oatmeal and rice, then threw in wooden pegs, rocks, shells, spoons, baby food jar lids, and pincher tongs.
Today was the first time she got to play with it. I put a tablecloth under it to catch any mess it might make.
Lizzy had fun exploring the bin and playing with the spoon. The bin allows an opportunity to explore new textures and play with whatever you put in it.
I have a couple ideas of future bins I will make for Lizzy. I'm thinking of doing a Jello bin then an ice bin next.
Everything is new to a baby and the sensory bin is a great way to introduce new textures, volumes, temperatures and vocabulary while having fun. Lizzy had a good time with this bin, she played for about 10 min and didn't make much of a mess or even try to eat any of it! She particularly enjoyed scooping with the spoon and large shell and finding the hidden rocks.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, your cousin, Sarah, pretty much tried to eat everything I ever put in any sort of sensory bin or experience! Seriously.

    ReplyDelete