Building Rainbows

Friday, August 9, 2013

Beading and Handwork

At home we have found a new hobby Lizzy and I can do together beading, and jewelry making. I use to enjoy the hobby of jewelry making but stopped for quite a while. I already had beads I have picked out and sorted for specific items I planned to make so I brought those out to do with Lizzy. Lizzy has been making beaded bracelets and necklaces for quite a while as this is one of her works she chose to do almost daily at her Montessori school. Lizzy can string beads even with the smallest of holes and string it is quite amazing. Handwork is important in both Montessori and Waldorf education. Handwork in preschool and kindergarten includes playing and modeling playdoh, clay, playing with sand, mud, wool, and bread making. All of these activities build small muscles in the hands for fine motor, and are connected to the intellectual part of the brain as well as the creative. Once those fine motor skills are gained beading, knitting, and sewing can be learned.






No comments:

Post a Comment